Whoever can imagine that a country such as Sealand exists! Sea-what?? Here’s a brief introduction to this little-known country (and please, save your LOLs for later):
- Sealand is an artificial island situated off the southeastern part of the UK, near Essex, but far enough for it to be outside of British waters. And when I say artificial, I mean it is really artificial that you won’t even believe it’s an island. See for yourself:
- Sealand is categorized as a micronation (not to be confused with microstate), together with the likes of Outer Baldonia, Seborga, Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands, and the more successful Hay-on-Wye.
- Its population rarely exceeds ten people — if you could call it a population, since no one, not even its king and queen, permanently resides there.
- Its main economic activity is tourism.
- As of to date, it’s available for sale.
Some cool things you can do with your own country:
- Give yourself some cool titles, such as Your Excellency, Your Terrificness, Your Royal Grrrl Friend or Who’s Your Daddy.
- Set your own tax laws stating that there is no such thing as tax.
- Create a sports team that you can represent to the Olympics or the World Cup.
- Get an Internet top level domain (TLD) of your own.
Are you revving to make your own country now? There is a book by Erwin S. Strauss that tells you exactly how to do so (How to Start Your Own Country).
More of Sealand at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand.